If you’re looking to take a road trip this summer, be sure to pack plenty of things to do! In this blog post, we’ve collected some of the best ideas for things to do with your family on a long drive. From visiting historical sites to checking out cool attractions, there’s something for everyone in our roundup. So put on your favorite tunes and get ready for a fun-filled journey!
How To Make A Road Trip Fun
Road trips can be a lot of fun with the right preparations. Most people go for the classic car, while some prefer the spaciousness of a van or RV. It is really a personal choice and often depends on the size of your family.
No matter which vehicle you choose for your road adventure, it is crucial to give your car a check for any needed services or repairs. This ensures you do not find yourself stuck with a breakdown in the middle of the tour and turning your road trip into a headache. Check for any necessary repairs, grab those engine rebuilding kits if your vehicle calls for them, and stop by an auto repair shop to detect and fix any anticipated problems. With your vehicle all checked and ready, you are all set to start the adventurous road trip.
Here are a few more ideas to make your road journey even more enjoyable.
- Plan Ahead: One of the best ways to make a road trip enjoyable is to plan it well in advance. Make a list of all the things you want to do, and divvy up the driving time accordingly. This will also help avoid any surprises along the way.
- Pack Appropriate Gear: It’s important to pack appropriately for the climate and terrain you’ll be traveling through. Be sure to pack sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, water bottles, snacks, and whatever other supplies may be necessary for the area you are visiting.
- Pack A Playlist: Music can make any journey more fun – even on long stretches of the highway! Bring along your favorite tunes and enjoy them while cruising or stopping for lunch.
- Make Friends Along The Way: On a long drive, it can get pretty lonely. If you’re looking for friends, stop at truck stops and rest areas often. There are usually quite a few travelers there who would love to meet someone new.
- Take pictures: No matter where you go, taking pictures is always a great way to remember your trip. Plus, who knows? Maybe one day, these photos will become souvenirs for your children or grandchildren!
- Play games: Whether it’s cards or board games, playing together can be a lot of fun while on the road. And if there’s some downtime between attractions or restaurants, playing a game can keep everyone entertained.
Choosing The Right Route
Road trips can be a blast for the whole family, and there are plenty of great things to do on one. Whether you’re looking to explore new places or take in familiar sights, here are some of the best activities that you can do!
- Get outside: Road trips can be a great opportunity to see some amazing scenery. If you’re lucky enough to live near a scenic destination like the Grand Canyon or Yosemite National Park, take advantage of it! If not, head out into the wilderness and explore national parks like Yellowstone or Glacier National Park.
- Go on Adventures: Don’t forget about all the fun activities your kids will love! Check out amusement parks like Six Flags or Hershey Park (or even local theme parks), or go on hikes and wilderness adventures. There’s really something for everyone on a road trip!
Safe Driving Tips
If you are planning a road trip with your family, here are some safe driving tips:
- Plan your route in advance. This will help you avoid congestion and make the most of your time on the road.
- Make sure you have enough fuel and water. Road trips can be long and tiring, so having provisions will make the journey go smoother.
- Be aware of the weather conditions. If it looks like rain is imminent or there’s a tornado watch in effect, take appropriate precautions.
- Stay alert for other drivers. Slow down when approaching intersections and always use caution when changing lanes or turning around. Drive defensively and expect the unexpected!
A Trip To Remember
- Visit a theme park – There’s nothing like spending a hot day at an amusement park, and with so many options available, there’s sure to be one close by your destination. Make sure to pack sunscreen and plenty of snacks, though you won’t want your kids to go hungry while you have fun!
- Visit a historic hotel – A great way to make some memories with your family is by visiting Historic Hotels America, if that’s where you’re from. These places would likely have featured events of historical significance, making it a great learning experience for the kids, your spouse, and yourself.
- Go fishing – No matter where you are in the country, chances are there is a great fishing spot nearby. Bring your own gear or take advantage of local rentals and get out on the water. Bonus: Kids will love catching their very own fish!
- Take a hike – Whether it’s a short walk around the block or an extended trek up a mountain peak, hiking is great exercise and can be enjoyed by all ages (provided they’re physically able). Pack plenty of water and snacks, though you never know when you’ll get thirsty or hungry on a hike!
- Go antiquing – If vintage shopping isn’t your thing, take advantage of antique malls or roadside shops instead. These places always have something interesting to offer and who knows? You might find yourself picking up an old treasure while you’re there!